Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Blue berry bombs

P and L put their detective hats on and got out the magnifying glass the other day when they found splats of blue on our pavers (unsealed - why oh why did we think that was a good idea?) at the back of the house... after further investigation they traced them back to the source - an exceedingly pretty bunch of blue berries at the front of the house, scattered among the lime kangaroo paws. I believe they are the fruit of the Blue Flax Lily and are edible - though I have yet to try them myself.

One morning soon after their discovery, as I stepped out for my early morning walk, I heard a little chirruping sound. When I looked up I spied a crimson rosella inching along the fence towards the berries. I crouched down so as not to frighten it away and watched as the scarlet and ultramarine blue parrot hopped onto the bright green kangaroo paw stems and bent down to pluck a purply blue berry. As soon as it had the berry in its beak it snapped down on it and a burst of juicy spray went out in all directions. The feast the birds are enjoying seems to causing them to do blue droppings - which is what we found on our pavers.



Now instead of blue splats on our pavers we have small piles of white powder. No - we haven't been dropping our cocaine stash along the path - it is bicarb of soda which is good for absorbing spills and stains. Lets hope it works.

No comments:

Post a Comment